Zamfara residents vow to kill any visiting government official and security guard after Nigerian soldiers kill teenager


Some residents of Jangebe, the community of Zamfara where high school girls were kidnapped last week, have vowed to kill any government official or security guard who visits the community after a teenage boy was killed by Nigerian soldiers during the a demonstration Wednesday.

Some young people in the community are said to have organized a demonstration when representatives of the Zamfara government came to town to reunite the abducted schoolgirls with their parents.



Suspected bandits attacked Jangebe State Girls’ High School on February 26 and kidnapped 279 schoolgirls. The girls were then released after spending a few days in captivity.

Once the students were released, the government took them away for counseling and rehabilitation.











On Wednesday, they were brought back to the community to reunite with their family members.

A pandemonium erupted, however, after anxious parents disrupted the speech of Alhaji Nasiru Muazu Magarya, speaker of the Zamfara House of Assembly, and forcibly took their daughters away.

The schoolgirls, who arrived at the school in the evening, were sitting in the examination room and being addressed by the President when the visibly disturbed parents broke into the room and started throwing insults to dignitaries who were supposed to address parents and schoolgirls.

The program was interrupted and after sensing problems, the president and the commissioners present at the event quickly left.

Shots were fired by Nigerian army men to disperse the crowd waiting outside the school.

The young people also started throwing stones at the security guards.

There have been tensions in Jangebe since the girls’ abduction, with young people preventing security guards and government officials from entering the main town.

A teenager was however killed in the clash between security guards and young people in the community.

“We will kill any government official or security agent who visits our village again during the life of the boy who was shot dead by soldiers during yesterday’s protest,” a villager told SaharaReporters.

Another resident accused security agents of opening fire on innocent people.

He said the Jangebe youth were having a meeting and vowed to attack any government official and security guard seen in the community.

He berated the state government for declaring a curfew in the city.

The Zamfara state government, however, imposed an indefinite curfew on the community on Thursday.

Information Commissioner Sulaiman Anka said in a statement that the government had imposed the curfew to prevent another breach of the peace.

“Likewise, there is strong evidence uncovered of market activities in the city which aid and encourage the activities of bandits in the city and neighboring communities.
“Therefore, all activities in the city market are suspended until further notice,” the statement said.

“The state government is ready to ensure the security of the lives and property of its citizens at all costs.

“With this announcement, the Zamfara State Police Command is urged to ensure full enforcement.”


Comments are closed.